About Me

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thrilla in Manila Documentary

We just watched a new HBO documentary on the buildup to and the Thrilla in Manila fight between Ali and Frazier.  This show was more critical of Ali and his terrible name-calling and race baitig that other documentaries I had seen about their encounters.  I thought the Ali camp (esp. Pachecho) came off as pretty arrogant.  I didn't know that Ali spoke at a Klan rally!  I also found it interesting that Ali actually wanted to quit after the 14th round, but Frazier's corner beat him to it.  It also includes footage of Frazier watching a replay of the fight for the first time.  I guess it took 1-2 years for the filmmakers to get him to agree watch it.  I thought it was very well done, but I wish we could find out how Ali thinks about Frazier now.

No comments:

Post a Comment