About Me

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Does Acupuncture Work?

This study by a group in Denmark (TomTom would be proud) compared the effects of acupuncture on pain (osteoarthritis, migraine, lower back, etc.) compared to placebo and saw very little clinical differences.  I've always wondered about acupuncture as a form of treatment and even checked it out myself a few times a couple of years ago.  It did seem to help with the pain I was feeling, but I thought it might just be due to the fact that the needles were hurting and causing me to direct my focus to that pain instead.  Also, I was usually put in a dark room with meditation music playing to relax me.  I started to think that those are the real reasons it worked rather than relieving pressure points and this research tends to confirm that it doesn't really work.  They also noted that the placebo effect varied greatly on the pain the people felt.  This finding suggests that just the ritual of treatment might actually have a positive psychological impact on a person's pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment