About Me

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Nematodes Terrorize Garlic Crop

Every time I see a story about nematodes, I think of my dad.  He spent some of his retirement time counting nematodes for $8/hour at a lab near Benson, MN.  I can't imagine how he could sit and count them all day, but that just demonstrates his patience.  It sure came in handy when I was living at home!  Anyway, here's a quick story (about 1/2 the way down) from today's Leah Garchik column on how nematodes affected one guy's garlic crop.  Who knew there were over 80 types of garlic?  And, how when people found out about it, they sent him some seeds to replant his garlic.  How about that??  A Dr. Feelgood story in a national newspaper!  Usually, all I read about is death, terror, and destruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment